How to apply
Applications for the Western Wisconsin Rural Family Medicine Residency Program will be accepted September 15 to December 31, 2021.
1. Register with the National Resident Matching Program.
- The following materials are required with your ERAS application:
- Personal statement
- Medical school performance evaluation (MSPE)
- Transcripts from all medical schools attended
- Curriculum vitae
- Three recent letters of recommendation
- USMLE and/or COMLEX transcripts
- Photograph of yourself
2. Review the following application criteria. Applicants must:
- Have graduated from medical school within five years of application or have patient care experience within five years of application. Medical schools must appear in one of the following directories:
- Be qualified to begin work by mid-June.
- Be eligible for a Wisconsin Board of Medical Practice license
- Meet the following USMLE or COMLEX exam requirements:
- Have a maximum of two failed attempts on all USMLE or COMLEX exams across all exam portions.
- USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX Level 3 to be passed within five years of Step 2 (CK) / Level 2 (CE).
- The first USMLE/COMLEX exam taken within eight years of starting residency or completed the SPEX exam within three attempts.
- Have verified U.S. clinical experience.
- International medical school graduates must have ECFMG certification.
- Current international medical school students certified by residency start date.
- Past international medical school graduates certified for interview selection.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States by June of the first year of training. The program sponsors J-1 visas but does not sponsor H visas.
- Exam results: USMLE Step 2 or COMLEX Level 2 exam results are not required for current students, but preferred for interview selection. There is no minimum score requirement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit Step 2 or Level 2 results as soon as the score becomes available to be considered for ranking by the rank list due date.
3. Apply to the HealthPartners Western Wisconsin Rural Family Medicine Program through ERAS by December 31, 2021.
Check ERAS for communications about the status of your application with the program, or contact Jill Mehr, Program Administrator at Jill.R.Mehr@WestfieldsHospital.com, or 715-243-3507.
The program will contact applicants for interviews and about application status as early as October and as late as January.
Tip: Set up an e-mail specifically for application correspondence and include it in your ERAS application. Set up your ERAS e-mail to be forwarded to an e-mail account service that can send you an alert on your personal device when an e-mail is received. Contact ERAS and/or your e-mail service provider for assistance.
The interview day begins at Amery Hospital & Clinic and Westfields Hospital & Clinic in Wisconsin. Applicants will tour the clinic and hospital, interview with local faculty, take a community tour, and have lunch with local providers. After lunch applicants will drive to Park Nicollet-Creekside clinic in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. At Creekside, applicants will interview with the program director and tour the clinic and hospital. The interview day will wrap up late afternoon.
Applicants will need a car for the interview day. This schedule is flexible depending on your needs.
Interviews will be available Mondays, November 8, 2021 through January 17, 2022.